Sunday, February 21, 2010

Books




I was listening to the radio today, they were excitingly talking about a electronic book were you can down load up to 150 books, and carry the slim line "book" around with you.


A feeling of sadness washed over me. I would feel disconnected from what I was reading if I couldn't hold the pages in my hand and smell the paper as I soak myself in the story. I would feel lost if I couldn't flick through a book, and get a feel of the writer and their story before I bought it. I would miss all the alluring covers, which sometimes draw me in more the story line does, which doesn't look the same on a screen.


We all might be standing at a cross road where all the books we now own will one day look antique like records do now.


We may be in the middle of a time where the art of penning a letter with your own personal energy is a lost art... Along with holding a book in your hands.....


I completely understand that having books in the form of a machine will save trees and make less pollution. I know it costs a lot of have them printed then flown and driven all over the country into the bookshops that sell them.


But imagine a world without book shops?


I would be so sad, and would feel like a small piece of my soul is lost.


I know that sounds extreme but books mean a lot to me, they are my guilty addiction (and bread), they bring me so my pleasure and I feel I am at one with them as I turn their beautiful pages. I love slipping them into my bag and having them trudge around with me all day, just waiting for the right moment for me to take a breather and pull them out and get lost in their magic.


I know at some point I will probably buy one of these electronic books.


But I will never lose my love and admiration and long term relationships that I have had with all of my cherished books.




No comments:

Post a Comment